Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Growing Radicchio in Kihei

 
 
Radicchio is an Italian green from the chicory family that grows best in cool weather. It's slow to bolt but like many of the red or butter lettuces it's not cool enough in Kihei to initiate heading or to turn the leaves red in all varieties.
  
 
I've planted many varieties of radicchio that didn't head. So far my best results were with the varieties featured in this post.

 
Indigo is an F1 hybrid that was developed to be adaptable to the summer heat. It is the only round radicchio I've grown that produced a compact head. When planted close together (6 to 8 inches apart)the outer leaves are large enough to naturally self blanch the center heads.
.
Radicchio is easy to grow in containers and needs a soil depth of at least 6 inches. With the exception of Indigo, I plant radicchio seeds from October through November. Indigo can be planted from September through March with good results. Radicchio needs 3 months from seed to maturity.
 
 
One of the best things about growing radicchio is that it's not bothered by any of  the destructive Kihei insects like the cabbageworm. It's one of a few salad greens that doesn't need to be covered with a row cover or tulle. However, I recommend using snail bait on the ground around the containers as snails and slugs will eat the outer leaves.
have large selections of radicchio seeds. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of radicchio. I couldn't imagine eating it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daphne! Radicchio and endive have been great here as they've never bolted. This year I tried a lot more varieties. So far I've only found one lettuce I can grow to maturity that doesn't bolt early due to the heat. It's been great having so many different salad greens this winter - I wish I could grow them all year!

    ReplyDelete

Important Update

This blog is a mirror of my garden blog at  A Kitchen Garden in Kihei Maui Google doesn't fully support Blogger any longer. I'm unab...